True Blue Power, Wichita, KS, United States, the first company to receive FAA TSO certification for lithium-ion batteries, has added a 60 amp-hour lithium-ion battery to its Gen5 product line, Verticalmag.com reports. The TB60 saves up to 50 pounds per battery, significantly reducing aircraft empty weight and increasing useful load.
“This battery is a beast. It’s our most powerful battery designed for the most powerful aircraft,” explained Van Winter, market development manager for True Blue Power. “It’s ideal for larger Part 135, 29 and 25 aircraft needing higher amp-hours for longer-running emergency and back-up power,” Winter explained.
The TB60 is certified to TSO-C179b, RTCA DO-311A, RTCA DO-160G and RTCA DO-178C Design Assurance Level A. The battery delivers superior reliability and performance and offers on-condition maintenance. The result is zero capacity checks and reduced maintenance costs by up to 90 percent. It is ideal for use in rugged environments and outperforms all other aircraft batteries in extreme temperatures, from -40°C to 70°C.
TB60 lithium-ion battery benefits:
- Ultra-lightweight and powerful: Weighs 55% less and delivers more amp hours per pound than any other aircraft battery
- Built-in Test (BIT) indicator: Provides SOC data without the need for external test equipment, load banks or auxiliary power
- Battery configurations programmed for each specific aircraft: Charge current limit, end-of-life capacity, minimum dispatch capacity and engine-start readiness
- 8 years useful battery life: Up to 4x longer than lead-acid and 3 years longer than NiCad batteries
- Environmentally friendly: Eliminates toxic metals and acid spills, significantly reduces carbon emissions and can be recycled or disposed of in area landfills